Century-old structure is restored
Built in 1907 to allow travel between a flour mill and local markets, the War Eagle Bridge had outlived its usefulness by 2005. But, considering its local significance and its place on the National Register of Historic Places, the Arkansas Department of Transportation chose to restore the structure rather than replace it. Garver provided planning, design, and construction observation and administration in rehabilitating the main truss span and approach spans. The stone piers, timber deck, steel stringers, floor beams, and approach span were also rehabilitated. The timber deck was removed, and the bridge was stripped down to its steeling stringers and floor beams, after which steel members were added to increase its strength and integrity for a project that closed the bridge for just over two months.