As part of the Water Design Center’s Structural Group, the Project Engineer will be responsible for developing structural designs in support of various WBL projects. Generally, this responsibility will include structural support as required for a variety of water and wastewater projects, but the majority of the expected assignments will be related to developing structural designs for new water and wastewater treatments plants or improvements to existing water and wastewater treatment facilities.
The required structural support shall include developing detailed drawings and specifications as needed for each project. This will consist of developing detailed structural designs for water and wastewater treatment process basins, chemical facilities, administration buildings, site retaining walls, preparation of design calculations, coordination with other support discipline activities, coordination with regional offices and regulating agencies, construction cost estimating, and quality assurance and control.
Qualified candidates must have the following capabilities and the ability to perform the following routine functions:
- Be technically competent in structural engineering design in concrete, masonry, and structural steel.
- Assist the Group Leader in the development of construction plans and specifications for water and wastewater treatment plant projects.
- Be responsible for time management and work product quality.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date project accounting on all assigned projects.
- Conduct written and oral project reporting for clients and team leader. Reporting will include project design status, upcoming milestones, project accounting, percent completes, progress reports, etc.
- Assist the Group Leader to prepare and execute Quality Assurance and Quality Control Plans for water and wastewater treatment projects.
- Be responsible for continuing education and learning based on project needs, as well as overall needs of the team.
The Project Engineer must have a strong knowledge base of engineering principals including concrete, steel, masonry, and aluminum design. Knowledge of the provisions of the International Building Code and its referenced material Codes, is essential. Knowledge of ACI 350 is a plus. Candidates must have strong technical problem solving and critical thinking skills, be self motivated, enjoy team oriented work, and have good oral and written communications. Candidates must have a basic understanding of the multi-discipline practices (i.e. process, surveying, geotechnical, structural, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation & control) required for the implementation of infrastructure capital improvements. Candidates must be proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Candidates must also have a thorough knowledge of finite element modeling using plates and frame elements.
Some travel may be required, as projects may require field work for site assessment of project locations and support during construction.
- Project Engineer must hold a Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering from an ABET accredited program.
- Candidates must have been in responsible charge of structural designs, including detailed plans and specifications, for major projects.
- Candidates must have 1 to 5 or more years of technical experience.
- Candidates must be a Registered Professional Engineer (PE) or willing to become a PE when eligible to do so.
- A Master’s Degree in civil or structural engineering.
- A working knowledge of AutoCad and/or Revit CAD programs.
- Be familiar with the use of finite element modeling software, such as STAAD, Visual Analysis, or SAP.
Founded in 1919, Garver is an employee-owned multi-disciplined engineering, planning, architectural, and environmental services firm with more than 800 employees across the United States. Offering a wide range of services focused on aviation, construction, facilities design, federal, survey, transportation, and water, Garver sits in the top 125 of the Engineering News-Record's prestigious Top 500 Design Firms list and is consistently recognized as a best firm to work for. Learn more at GarverUSA.com.
Garver is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Our employment practices are based upon an individual's capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.